Sunday, December 19, 2010

What makes me a Christian?

Everyone has their own ideas of what makes them a Christian, that is something that I have learned.  Is there a right and a wrong way?  I know that you cannot be a Christian if you don't believe that Jesus Christ is the son, the Holy one, our saviour.

John 14:6 

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

So what makes me a Christian other than the fact that this is my belief?  I googled this, to see what others believe.  One response from gotquestions.org is as follows:

Question: "What is a Christian?"

Answer: A dictionary definition of a Christian would be something similar to “a person professing belief in Jesus as the Christ or in the religion based on the teachings of Jesus.” While this is a good starting point, like many dictionary definitions, it falls somewhat short of really communicating the biblical truth of what it means to be a Christian. The word “Christian” is used three times in the New Testament (
Acts 11:26; 26:28; 1 Peter 4:16). Followers of Jesus Christ were first called “Christians” in Antioch (Acts 11:26) because their behavior, activity, and speech were like Christ. The word “Christian” literally means, “belonging to the party of Christ” or a “follower of Christ.”

Unfortunately over time, the word “Christian” has lost a great deal of its significance and is often used of someone who is religious or has high moral values but who may or may not be a true follower of Jesus Christ. Many people who do not believe and trust in Jesus Christ consider themselves Christians simply because they go to church or they live in a “Christian” nation. But going to church, serving those less fortunate than you, or being a good person does not make you a Christian. Going to church does not make you a Christian anymore than going to a garage makes you an automobile. Being a member of a church, attending services regularly, and giving to the work of the church does not make you a Christian.

The Bible teaches that the good works we do cannot make us acceptable to God.
Titus 3:5 says, “He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.” So, a Christian is someone who has been born again by God (John 3:3; John 3:7; 1 Peter 1:23) and has put faith and trust in Jesus Christ. Ephesians 2:8 tells us that it is “…by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.”

A true Christian is a person who has put faith and trust in the person and work of Jesus Christ, including His death on the cross as payment for sins and His resurrection on the third day.
John 1:12 tells us, “Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” The mark of a true Christian is love for others and obedience to God’s Word (1 John 2:4, 10). A true Christian is indeed a child of God, a part of God’s true family, and one who has been given new life in Jesus Christ.

With this knowledge, now I move on to this question:
Why do I go to Church? 
I have many friends and family that say that they believe, and yet do not go to church.  Some believe that they don't need an organized religion, or a church home.  Maybe they don't?  I have always believed in Christ... to a point.  I have always celebrated Christmas and Easter, I have not always prayed and MEANT IT though.  I found a church HOME.  I find myself there every week, sometimes more than once a week to participate in a class or group activity.  I NEED THIS.  I regroup myself weekly.  Listening to my pastor talk about the Bible and what we can do in our lives to be more Christ-like reminds me that I have daily faults and I can change a lot of what I do and how I act.  I am a lot more happy with my personal life, my actions and even the hurdles in my life.  I know that one day I will be rewarded for all the good that I do for others, I don't need immediate attention from those that I help.  Half of the people that I help, I don't know.  I anonymously donate money to help those who are in need, in the U.S. and in Africa.  I donate gifts to children who otherwise would not have a Christmas gift.  Just knowing that I have helped makes me happy. 
Going to Church has introduced me to this lifestyle.  I have a family at church, and I love and care for them as if they were my blood.  Why wouldn't everyone want a relationship like this? 
Some friends have teased me about being a "Bible thumper".  This does not bother me in the slightest bit.  I am proud to be a "Bible Thumper"... yet I know that I should be reading the Bible more!  When I am approached about my beliefs in a negative manner, I freeze up.  I want to talk about my life as a Christian that goes to Church, I just can't handle those who "bash" my lifestyle.  What do I say to defend myself?  It is far easier to talk to other Christians about Christianity!  Lord, guide me to the right words to use to spread your WONDERFUL WORD!  
When I am focused in my blog, I have no problem voicing my views... that is likely because there isn't anyone there to question... then I have to think of an immediate response.  On this blog I can stop typing and think about what I am going to say.  Likewise with my Walking In The Light Facebook page. 
So how good is good enough??  I wonder this all the time.  I don't even know if all that I do is good enough, and I strive to do more.  It is when those negative thoughts and sins creep into my life when I doubt.  I ask for forgiveness almost everyday... Satan has his ways of sneaking up and pulling one back. 

I think of this verse when I have sinned, or am tempted. It is sooo true!
"Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted."
Galatians 6:1

HOW do I help those who have no intentions to come to Christ?  What do I say and do???

" Better is open rebuke
than hidden love. "
Proverbs 27:5

As simple as this last one sounds, this is tough.  It is far easier to tell someone that I love them, than to openly tell them that they need Christ in their life.  (I have a few people in mind when I say this). 

Life really is different when you give your life to serving Christ.  I can't express this enough.  Have my family, friends and coworkers not noticed how different I am?  It comes easy with the Grace of God!  Sure, I have my bad days like everyone else... I sin like everyone else.  I AM NOWHERE NEAR PERFECT!!!  YET, I have the love of Christ in my heart, and He guides me. 

There are no 'magic words' to become a Christian.  Remember -- praying is talking to God, not just saying words.  I suggest you pray this prayer:
Father God, I come to You right now, in the name of your most Holy Son, Jesus Christ, asking You to accept me as a Christian.
You say in Your word that if I confess my sins and ask forgiveness, You are faithful and will forgive my sins and remember them no more.  You will not hold them against me and You will give me everlasting life.
Father, I confess that I have sinned against You.  I have not followed Your commandments and I have broken Your laws.  I repent of my sins and ask for Your forgiveness.
Father, I believe that Jesus Christ, Your only Son, came to Earth and was born, that He lived among us, and that He was crucified to pay for our sins and for my sins.  I believe that You raised Him from the dead and gave Him power over all creation.
Lord, right now I accept Your Son Jesus as my Savior and as the Lord of my life.  Send the Holy Spirit to guide me, protect me, lead me and counsel me.  Send Your angels to gather around me and protect me. Protect me from Satan and his evil forces.  Help me grow in wisdom, knowledge and love for You and Your ways.  Give me the strength and courage to change my ways and resist the Devil and avoid sin in the future.
Lord, I thank You for sending Your only Son to die so that I can live.
Jesus, I thank You in that You died for me while I was still a sinner and had not yet accepted You.  I thank You for forgiving my sins and for bringing me to a saving knowledge of You.  Please bless me and protect me.  Teach me to pray.  Guide me.  Increase my faith, and make me sure in the knowledge that I can rely on You, no matter what may come.  Lead me to a good church where I can learn Your word and the Father's will, where I can fellowship with Christians and grow in my knowledge of You.
I ask these things in Your most holy and precious name, and I thank You for making me a Christian.
Amen!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment